Report on yesterday's seminar

 The seminar went well. I took the first hour to explain the thesis and how the pieces I sent fit into a bigger picture, and I took another five minutes to show videos of the games so that everyone had my material ready.

The criticism of my text was then quite extensive, but very well-intentioned. It was not clear and not structured properly. I had already received this in writing from my supervisor, so I was not surprised. At the same time, there were several good suggestions as to how I should structure the material. One participant was particularly knowledgeable about Lefebvre and de Certeau and had a lot of good insights that I can benefit from, and overall there were a lot of good suggestions from everyone present. Restructuring the text and writing it again should take a few days. Tying together all the threads that are in the script takes weeks, but it can be done.

One thing I have realized with alarming clarity: It's difficult to accept written criticism. When I received the comments in the text from my supervisor via email, he was unable to attend the seminar, so I read them in the worst way, so to speak. I had to make an active effort to re-read them and see them for what they were. The same thing does not happen at all with a seminar, we are all so reasonable and nice here. But it's good to learn to accept criticism, and in this case it was not really harsh. Now, I am dealing with this text, and it's fun to work on. It gets better with every read and edit!


Civilization V


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time goes by so slowly

Check-in with Max

16 days left, 75% done - and that's good!