Check-in with Max

 I just had a meeting with my supervisor, who had read my manuscript to this point, and it went very well. I do not know why, but I always think that meetings like that end in disaster, along the lines of "This is terrible, what the hell are you doing?" but that never happens. I got good feedback and it was great to see how well he understood my text so far.

He had a few points that I really need to address. One of them is my tendency to use a lot of empty intensifiers that just need to be edited out. No problem, I know they are there, but they always seem so reasonable when I first write them, and then I see later that they do not do anything or even weaken my text.

Another thing is two long paragraphs describing my game examples, which are too long and need to be closer to my arguments. This is more difficult; I wrote them because I know art historians do not play games, so I wanted to do a thorough introduction early on; but he's right and there must be a way to shorten them by making them smarter and using a few pictures.

I am also going to read Alois Riegel's dissertation and some Merleau-Ponty to add body schemas to my repertoire of analytical tools.

All in all: a great check-in.

Super Mario Odyssey mini-boss


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time goes by so slowly

16 days left, 75% done - and that's good!