Phenomenology

After Reading a lot of Harden, who is great at writing about games and gameworld from a player and developer point of view, I decided to read some basic phenomenology. And In Hardens introduction he recommended Robert Sokolowskis Introduction to Phenomenology. So I've been reading that too and it is a great tool; I'm starting to get a grasp of what I can and can't do with phenomenology and it's clear to me that as a method it is what I need but at the same time it's just the beginning of an interpretive process. 

It has given me a clear perspective on one aspect of my two chosen games right from the start; Zelda BotW is an open world and the gameworld seems limitless, it spreads out en embraces me as a player inviting me to walk or ride long distances. In Mario Odyssey each little part of the world is clearly limited like a small intricate construction (a building, a cabinet, a piece of jewelry?). Mario Odyssey is a large world too - but in a very different way. I'm thinking of these spaces when I'm reading Sokolowski and I'm becoming more aware of who I see them. BotW is centrifugal, stretching out in all directions and full of space whereas Odyssey is centripetal, small concentrated and full of intricate mechanisms for exploring.

Donkey Kong



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Check-in with Max

What am I writing about?

Time goes by so slowly