Finding sources and reading them

I did the most simple thing yesterday, I entered "Game World Phenomenology" first into Google and then into LUBsearch (the search engine of my university library in Lund).

Google had one interesting hit; there is a book about game design with the title Phenomenology of the Gameworld: A Philosophical Toolbox for Video Game Developers by Matthew E. Gladden. Not available at any libraries I have access to, so I have ordered it from a bookstore. Not really sure it will be all that useful, since I already am reading and using Salen & Zimmermans Rules of play : game design fundamentals which seems to be one of the most quoted books on game design fundamentals. Google also had a few other hits I will look into, mostly on methodology of game studies.

LUBsearch on the other hand provided more interesting results, but many of them have a heavy sociological focus and that is far outside the scope of my reading/writing. But I have a few articles at hand in Zotero for reading later, and one great find; a brand new dissertation on gameworlds and phenomenology: Moralde, OJA, The Protopolitics of Play: From Gameworlds to Playing-in-the-World. UCLA, 2022, <http://escholarship.org/uc/item/3180050v>.

Moralde works in Film Studies and his aims are, as far as I have understood them this far, to write about the spectator/audience, the gameworld and the lived world. That is not similar to my aims but there is a lot to learn from when it comes to methodology. I have only read the first chapter this morning, but it is very inspiring. We have read a lot of the same texts and draws both similar and very different conclusions from them. I will spend the rest of the day reading more of it. I'm very thankful it's in open access, it makes everything so much easier.

Tetris



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Check-in with Max

What am I writing about?

Time goes by so slowly